Monday, September 29, 2008

San Francisco/anniversary

My wonderful husband booked us a trip to San Francisco for our 5 year wedding anniversary and made arrangements for the boys, we left early Friday morning and came back late Sunday night. Our little getaway was wonderful we actually got to sleep through the night without our crazy kids waking us up, the plane ride was only an hour and 47 minutes but our plane was freaking tiny(2 seater)and that made me freak out but we arrived safe. We stayed in a city called Oakland because the hotel was cheaper(thanks Kelli) but the down fall was that we had to take the BART(subway) into San Francisco and where ever else we wanted and if we wanted to take a break or a nap then back on the train we went, so Friday we dropped our things off at the hotel and then walked around(Oakland is ghetto)and got some lunch and then went to rest and ended up sleeping for 5 hours, after our lovely nap we went to Pier 49 walked around and eat at a Irish pub(which had no Dr. Pepper) and kept walking all over seeing lots of cool stuff and also went to the Wax museum. We walked a lot and also took a lot of subways, trains and trolleys we were actually on a light rail bus thingy and it died right in the middle of the road as we we turning power and all it was kinds scary, none of the public transportation is smooth or quite. We made our way to China town which I was excited about because I thought I would get some purses at killer prices but in San Francisco they sell them for way more because people don't know how dirt cheap they sell in Hong Kong and New York so I'm sad to say that I came home with not purse.

We also hit a town called Haight Ashbury which is a 70's hippie smoking marijuana town, it was fun to see all kinds of different shops, they had a lot of Bob Marley stuff and bongs , then we made our way over to a town called Castro which is the gay/lesbian district and all I can say is WOW!! we mostly saw gay men and a few girls other then that we were the ones that stuck out like a sore thumb(nothing like a pregnant married women walking in a gay town). On our way back to Pier 39 we were on a bus and all of the sudden this crazy guy starts walking right in front of the bus yelling a flipping the bus driver off and would not get out of the way he seriously almost got ran over.

I have to say that there are some freaking weird people in San Francisco, the first day we arrived not even a hour we had a guy come up us wanted to sell weed, we say a shoeless homeless women digging in the trash looking for a drink and then she laid on the ground and licked it got up eat some crap off the ground and walked away and was looking in peoples car trying to get in them. But on the other hand I did meet some nice people, I had two different women tell them that I was a cute pregnant girl(which is always nice to hear)and then there is Dan who can make friends like nothing, he made friends on the subway and at the airport and talked to them for awhile. Sunday morning before we left we went to the Golden gate bridge but it was really cold and windy and we could only see half of the bridge because of all the fog but it was still really cool to see it. We had a really great weekend but I missed the boys and I'm glad to be home.

Just want to thank Jim Bramble for all the suggestions on the sites to visit.


Golden gate bridge
Dan loves his crab
San Fran
Subway
Dan's sweet tattoo

8 comments:

Cam Ballou said...

I love San Fran! My brother used to live in Oakland (but not the ghetto) I have been there many times. I love the Pier and China town is awesome. Castro is pretty wacko, isn't it? I went there with my bosses last year - it was a riot to see how uncomfortable it made them! Glad you had fun! Did you go to Ghiradelli Square and get some chocolate?

Tiffany Anderson said...

I'm glad you guys had a good time. I love it there. You are a very cute prego. We had some crazy drunk guy talk to us on the bus (he actually had a bottle of whiskey with him).
What's with the tattoo?

Tiffany Anderson said...

Oh....and Happy Anniversary!!

Jamie said...

Sweet tat..Dan! I like San Fran., Jon has never been there..I guess I'll have to take him. Glad you had fun and made it home safe!

Jim and Jana Bramble said...

When I have travelled with Dan I also notice he makes friends with everyone on the bus, the taxi, anywhere. It is a nice trait.

Kaarina said...

Wow, what a "unique" cultural experience...Oakland is scary! You guys are soooo tough, espically with Dan's sweet tat!

Brooke said...

Did he get that tattoo while you were there or what? Sounds sooo fun! Happy Anniversary!

Liz said...

I remember walking the Golden Gate Bridge when I was 10. What a fun/crazy trip. :-) I didn't know Oakland was ghetto, but they do have a pretty temple. :-)

Is that tatoo really Dan's? You have him wound pretty tight. ;-)